BUSINESS DATA COMMUNICATIONS
& IT INFRASTRUCTURES
Manish Agrawal, University of South Florida
Rekha Sharma, Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Publication date: July, 2016
Student Price: $48.50
Includes all chapters (Chapters 1-14) and supplementary chapters (Chapters 15 & 16.)
Campus bookstores may order from Redshelf.com (contact [email protected]) or VitalSource.com.
Available directly to students from Redshelf and Vitalsource:
Student Price: $72.50 plus shipping,
Includes Chapters 1-14. Supplementary Chapters 15 & 16 are available at no charge from the Student Resources page.
Campus bookstores may order from Redshelf.com. (Contact [email protected])
Available directly to students from Redshelf and CreateSpace:
Description & Features
(Click here for the full Preface.)
Designed for an undergraduate course in Business Data Communications, this new second edition also includes an introduction to IT Infrastructures to address recommendations in the ACM/AIS IS 2010 Curriculum Guidelines.
- Two new chapters in the second edition on IT Infrastructures: Chapter 12 on Computer Infrastructures and Chapter 13 on IT Service Delivery.
- Integrates a unifying theme throughout the book – “Efficiency of network resource utilization” – to reinforce the important strategic organizational purpose of data communications.
- Focuses on why technologies have been designed to work the way they do.
- Focuses on a core set of data communications technologies.
- Hands-on exercises in every chapter actively engage student use and understanding of the networking concepts in each chapter. Exercises include tracert, ipconfig, ping, netstat, and nslookup. Other exercises use software including Wireshark, OPNET, and BGPlay.
- A case in each chapter shows students the business use for the technologies covered in the chapter.
- A network and IT infrastructure design case is integrated throughout the text to help students see how all the technologies integrate with each other in an enterprise network. Students make design choices to meet user requirements for the technology covered in each chapter.
Table of Contents
(Click here for Detailed Table of Contents)
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Physical Layer
Chapter 3 Data-link Layer
Chapter 4 Network Layer
Chapter 5 Transport Layer
Chapter 6 Application Layer
Chapter 7 Support Services
Chapter 8 Routing
Chapter 9 Subnetting
Chapter 10 Wide Area Networks
Chapter 11 Network Security
Chapter 12 Computing infrastructures
Chapter 13 IT Services Delivery
Chapter 14 Managerial Issues
Appendix A — Networking Careers
Supplementary Chapter 15 Wireless Networks (in ebook and online only)
Supplementary Chapter 16 Phone Networks (in ebook and online only)